Monday, March 22, 2010

Kosher for Lent?


On a totally unrelated subject to the Lenten season... or is it? We today obtained one of my favourite things from the grocery store, not exactly a good Lenten discipline, Kosher Coca-Cola, made with real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. I have been drinking Coke practically since birth (I am a Southerner after all) and I especially love the old formula consisting of real sugar, which today is found only in Kosher Coke and Mexican Coke (available in the international food section of local stores here in Atlanta). So if you love Coke, real Coke, find the Passover section at your local store and indulge - Kosher Coke is only available for a limited time right now before and during Passover, and is identified by the yellow cap with Hebrew printing on it.

And because my boys are currently fascinated with the story of Holy Week and Easter, and of the Old Testament types of Moses, Passover and the Exodus, we picked up matzos as well. We have discovered matzo is a wonderful teaching tool for instructing little children about the Passover, and its fulfilment in Our Blessed Lord and the Holy Eucharist.

3 comments:

Fr. David F. Coady said...

Many "moons" ago I lived in Staten Island, NY and worked on Wall Street. Breakfast consisted of a bagel and coffee from a Jewish Deli. Many times l had lunch at the Hebrew National Restaurant. I guess the Cokes they served must have been Kosher. Maybe next year we can all do Kosher for Lent.

Mick said...

I also get excited over Passover Coke. As someone who can be considered a "soda connoisseur," I enjoy tasting the difference of the old Coke vs new Coke (not to be confused with "New Coke").

Interestingly enough, I think I typically enjoy the HFCS versions of soda to their more natural counterparts. The only exception I've found is Dr. Pepper. Normally real-sugar Dr. Pepper is only created at the world's oldest Dr. Pepper bottling plant in Dublin, TX, but you can currently find "Dr. Pepper Throwback" at some stores.

Last night I even had a dream of Crystal Pepsi. I dreamt I was in an old general store of sorts and they had several Pepsi machines with selections of Crystal Pepsi. Whenever I'd buy one though, the machine spat out regular old Pepsi. This is a recurring nightmare for me.

Matthew M said...

When I was stationed in Louisiana in the '60s most of the Southern guys drank Royal Crown Cola.
Dr. Pepper from Dublin Texas is still the best!

Happy Kosher Lent!

Archbishop Donald Arden

Apostolic Succession - our APA episcopal great-grandfather - on 30th November 1961, William James Hughes, Archbishop of Central Africa, serv...