Saturday, May 15, 2010

ACNA and Women's 'Ordination'

'Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.'

The latest news report from VirtueOnline... which concludes with these words: 'The ordination of women to the priesthood will continue to simmer just beneath the surface of the new North American Anglican province and unless, in time, it is not fully resolved, it will erupt, bringing about its downfall.'

Truer words have never been written. What orthodox Continuing Anglicans have most feared concerning the sacramental and structural ambiguity of the Anglican Church in North America is already beginning to transpire. The heresy of the purported ordination of women already threatens to divide a jurisdiction which was only officially organised in December 2008. The errors which sundered the Lambeth Anglican Communion are being replicated in ACNA - potentially (and inevitably?) with the same result. Let us pray for those who seek to proclaim and preserve the Catholic Faith in that situation.

5 comments:

Jay Scott Newman said...

Any Christian who accepts women in the hierarchical priesthood by that fact deprives himself of any and every theological defense against homosexual marriage. This point cannot be stressed enough, and the "evangelical" Anglicans in Plano who have accepted a priestess into ACNA have thereby guaranteed that this Christian communion is not and can never be a true expression of Catholic Christianity.

Matthew M said...

I concur 100%.
As an outsider who once seriously entertained becoming Episcopalian (1960's) then Continuing Anglican (1970's)I finally opted for Orthodoxy.
I have always had an appreciation for Anglicanism and never thought I would see it disintegrate as it has over these decades.
When first hearing about the ACNA I was excited for Episcopalians who wanted out out of the madness of TEC. Then I heard Bishop (now Archbishop) Duncan proudly boast support for women's ordination and my countenance fell. Same heresy, different generation. I see no future for ACNA unless they address the problems laid out by Metropolitan Jonah are addressed and resolved. Bishop Iker stands against WO but I don't know who else in ACNA does. When the dust clears there may be 3 or 4 more 'continuing' jurisdictions branded 'Anglican". So very sad. I pray it won't be so but I am not optimistic.

Dcn. Carlos Miranda said...

Matthew,

There are many of us in ACNA, & even a few in AMiA (myself included) who hoped that the formation of ACNA would lead to union with the OCA, & the establishment of an Anglican rite/western Orthodoxy. It is true, it is risky to hope for such a grand gift, nevertheless, what other good options are available.

For many of us the continuing movement is an option, but not the ideal future. While it is true that the continuing Anglican churches for the most part hold to orthodox Anglicanism, it cannot said that they are thriving, & few would try to hide the political problems & schisms that have plauged the movement.

With all of that in mind, I & others like me are fully convinced that the only real hope for the future of Anglicanism is Orthodoxy & ACNA looked like it might just be that instrument. I fully expect that the insistance in ACNA/AMiA on W.O. will motivate more Anglo-Catholics to move that way. Meanwhile, pray for us who wait for such day, that we might hold fast until that day comes.

Matthew M said...

Father Carlos-
Thank you for your kind response. Some time ago I came across your blog and then when I wanted to check it again I couldn't find it. Now I have added it to my list and your parish website as well.
Although I live out on the 'left' coast I try to keep up with what's going on in the rest of the country. I'll be in touch.

Fr. David F. Coady said...

Will Bp. Iker remain in ACNA? Will the REC remain in ACNA? If so, for what reason?

Reflection: The 2024 APA Clergy Retreat on G3 Unity

Reflection: The 2024 APA Clergy Retreat on G3 Unity